Each semester the department of Computer Science offers a variety of seminars, advanced seminars and lab courses / practical courses. The registration for these courses always takes place in the preceding semester via ILIAS. Hints as who can attend what kind of course can be found below on this page. Please note that students are not allowed to attend more than one course from each of the 3 offered kinds of courses.
The registration for all these courses takes place in the ILIAS repository under "Ingenieurwissenschaften" → "Informatik". There you will find the course "Informatik-Marktplatz" at the bottom of the page. In this course you will find three subfolders:
- 1 - Seminare (Bachelor) Summer 2021
- 2 - Hauptseminare / Advanced seminars (Master) Summer 2021
- 3 - Fachpraktika / Lab Courses (Master) Summer 2021
These folders are already open for registration. The registration will run as follows:
- This time you have to create a personal ranking list / chart for the type of course you are interested in (thus: one for the advanced seminars and another for the laboratory courses).
- This personal ranking list / chart has to be uploaded in the respective folder in ILIAS (thus: in the folder "advanced seminars" or in the folder "laboratory courses", respectively). How exactly the chart has to look like will be explained in the next flag.
- An algorithm will calculate the best mapping of the students to the advanced seminars or laboratory courses, taking into account the individual ranking.
- The end of the registration (= the deadline for uploading the individual ranking list / chart) is on Tuesday, 02.02.2021 at 8 a.m.
After the registration is closed the algorithm will assign the students to the courses taking into account the individual ranking for the respective course type. You will be informed about the results of the selection process via email. Afterwards the lecturers will receive the list of participants and then get in contact with then to talk about meetings and the offered topics. Please additionally check the web pages or the pdfs of the call of each course (if available) for possible further information.
For each type of course you apply for (i.e. for advanced seminars and lab courses), please, create a separate excel chart named "FamilyName-FirstName" with the following contents:
|first name||last name||matricul. no.||no. Adv. seminar at 1. choice||no. Adv. seminar at 2. choice||...|
Under the headline "No. advanced seminar at 1. choice" please enter the number of the advanced seminar that is on 1. place in your individual ranking list. Under the headline "No. advanced seminar at 2. choice" please enter the number of the advanced seminar that is on 2. place in your individual ranking list, and so on. Please always use the number of the respective advanced seminar, which can be found on this web page, e.g. number "7" for the advanced seminar "Emerging Architectures".
Hint: When you decide not to include all offered advanced seminar it may happen that the algorithm will not find a place for you in the courses you prefer. Then you'll be on the waiting list only. Thus it is recommendable to include all offered courses to the ranking. However, when there are courses you really do not want to attend, then it makes no sense to include these to your individual ranking. The laboratory courses have to be handled the same way, if you want to attend one of them: you have to create a separate ranking list for each course type you want to participate in.
The chart has to be uploaded into the sub-folder of the course type in ILIAS, respectively: i.e. in "Advanced seminars" for the registration for advanced seminars and so on.
- How to get a seat:
- The lecturers are allowed to offer up to 6 places in the advanced seminars to particularly interested students. These students will be selected by the lecturer according to the list of applicants for his/her course. If so, only 8 places will be assigned by the algorithm. The lecturer can select people from this list of applicants only. Thus, if you have contacted a lecturer and he/she agreed that you will be one of these 6 students that can be selected individually, then make sure that this advanced seminar has the highest preference in your ranking. Otherwise the lecturer may nit find you and selects somebody else
- Please note: some advanced seminars or lab courses habe obligatory prerequisites. If you do not fulfill these prerequisites the lecturer can suspend you from participation even when you have got a seat.
- Exam Registration:
- The exam registration has to be done by the students during the general exam registration period of the University of Stuttgart in the C@mpus system.
- For the advanced seminar there is a specific place holder in each program ("seminar INFOTECH" or "advanced seminar compoter science"). You have to find this is your program and register with the correct examiner. He / she is mentioned on the call of the course.
- For lab courses often there is a place holder as well, i.e. the title of the lab course is not always identical to the exam title. When in doubt which course to register for, please contact Katrin Schneider.
- A de-registration from any of the courses without consequences is only possible until 14 days after the internal distribution of the topics of the respective course. The lecturer / examiner has to be informed about this de-registration.
- Any de-registration after the end of the exam registration period leads to a "fail" in the course as well as to the consequences mentioned under section 3.
- Any de-registration (or disappearing) later than 14 days after the distribution of the course topics and previous to the start of the exam registration period causes that the student will only get a place on a waiting list on any further registration to this course type for the next 2 semesters.
- A de-registration due to illness has to be approved by the examinations board. If the examinations board gives the permission to de-register, this will not lead to the consequences mentioned in the section above.
Courses offered in the summer term 2021
Advanced seminars are courses for Master students. Here is the list of courses offered in the respective semester:
- Advanced (Architectures for) Image Processing (German/English) PDF Lecturer: Simon, Gänz (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Advanced Parallel Computing (German) PDF Lecturer: Pflüger, Daiß, Brunn (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Advanced Topics in Data Management (German) PDF Lecturer: Mitschang, Reimann, Schwarz (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Algorithms for Imitation Learning (English) PDF Lecturer: Mainprice (Hint: Please check the prerequisites!) (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Cloud Computing (German) PDF Lecturer: Breitenbücher, Leymann (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Informationssicherheit und Kryptographie (German) PDF Lecturer: Küsters, Liedtke, Würtele (Hint: block course) (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Trends in Cognitive Science (English) PDF Lecturer: Ehinger (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
Laboratory courses are only obligatory in the INFOTECH program. For all other students this is an additional offer which can be chosen as an elective (but not more than 2 labcourses in one Master program). Here is the list of the course proposals:
- Fachpraktikum Algorithmik: Algorithmik für OSM-Daten / Algorithms for OpenStreetMap-Data (German/ English) PDF Lecturer: Funke (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Fachpraktikum Methods in Computational EEG (English) PDF Lecturer: Ehinger (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Fachpraktikum Interaktive Systeme: Machine Learning and Computer Vision for HCI (English) PDF Lecturer: Bulling
- Fachpraktikum Verteilte Systeme: Software-defined networking (English) PDF Lecturer: Bhowmik (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Laboratory course High Performance Programming with Graphics Cards (English) PDF Lecturer: Simon (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)
- Lab course RISC-V Processor Design (English) PDF Lecturer: Polian (Hint: For INFOTECH only. Please check theobligatory prerequisites!) (further seats will be available via the registration in C@mpus)